.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

PeAcE WiTh GuNs

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Thich Quang Duc - The monk who burnt himself


"I was to see that sight again, but once was enough. Flames were coming from a human being; his body was slowly withering and shrivelling up, his head blackening and charring. In the air was the smell of burning human flesh; human beings burn surprisingly quickly. Behind me I could hear the sobbing of the Vietnamese who were now gathering. I was too shocked to cry, too confused to take notes or ask questions, too bewildered to even think.... As he burned he never moved a muscle, never uttered a sound, his outward composure in sharp contrast to the wailing people around him."

-David Halberstam (A New York Times reporter who witnessed the incident)


8 Comments:

  • Ohh these things make me sick. I have seen this before.

    By Blogger Cuckoo, at 3:19 am  

  • isn't it quite surprising that his heart did not burn even though he burnt himself and was also re-cremated?

    There sure was some divine presence in him.

    By Blogger Shark, at 9:09 am  

  • Cuckoo : Yes I do too. If you read the article well enough you will notice something very very familiar - one word that is somehow always associated with such things in history - U.S.A.

    Shark : Well, somebody who gives up his life for the benefit of others has to be divine, right?

    -PeAcE
    --WiTh
    ---GuNs

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:26 am  

  • I have seen the wiki article before.
    I'd goosebumps then.
    I'm having goosebumps, as I go through it again!

    U.S.A. *rolling my eyes*

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:48 pm  

  • Just curious to know what made you post this ????

    I think in this case it was the intervention of US to some extent after this incident that regime opened dialogue with monks...!!If you heard recently because of US acknowledging the Dalai Lama & Tibet issue -people are hoping that China will also review their stance.So association with powerful country can help causes too.....!
    Tk care ~

    ps - Thanks for sharing it was good to read - I was not at all aware about Monks and self immolation pratice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 am  

  • Bendtherulz : From what I read, I thought it was the USA that had put the regime in power for its own interests and then when it didnt work, they opposed the regime. Something exactly similar to what happened in Afghanistan.

    I picked up the information from another blogger myself. Thought it was so intriguing, to say the least, that I decided to post it.
    -PeAcE
    --WiTh
    ---GuNs

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:11 am  

  • Thanks for clarifying !

    How was Police !!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 pm  

  • The Police tour is postponed.
    Its now in June next year.
    [:-(]I won't be able to make it then.

    Aarrghhh...

    -PeAcE
    --WiTh
    ---GuNs

    By Blogger GuNs, at 3:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home